Tuesday 25 February 2014

Seal of Approval

I have succumbed to that Aladdin's cave of food in boxes that is known as Approved Foods :o)  We have been eating pretty much from our stores for the last couple of months, and the stocks are running down - which is what I intended - but on the other hand, when pasta is going for 99p for 3kg, and bags of coffee beans for £1, it'd be rude not to. Right ?  The rest is something I do not usually indulge in, but a temporary madness came over me, and I went all mixy.  Ice cream mix, cheesecake mix, vanilla sponge and chocolate sponge mix, batter mix, vegetarian chicken style roast mix, flapjack mix.... 

 
Well, you know.... That whole lot above came to just over £20, including delivery.  Sometimes a little junk is good for the soul.  I will try not to do it too often !
 
As an antidote to all this pre-bagged snacky sweet stuff, the main meals are still being cooked from scratch.  This is a rice and meatball bake - one of those "basic method" recipes I like so much, that lends itself to almost countless variations.  I believe I first came across it as a "Moroccan meatball and basmati bake", which used harissa paste and lamb meatballs.  The version pictured below used garam masala and pork meatballs - but you can play with anything you have in. 
 
What you do need is rice (basmati is best, but cheap long grain is also fine) - 75g per person;  meatballs - 5 per person;  stock (I used the last of the Christmas turkey stock) and some sort of tomatoey liquid to the tune of twice the volume of rice.   Chopped tinned tomatoes, passata, or, like here, home made roast tomato sauce - they're all fine. 
 
Place the rice in an ovenproof dish.  Mix stock, tomatoes, and spices and pour over the rice; place the meatballs on top.  Pop a lid or some tin foil over the top, stick in the oven at about 200 C for 20 minutes.  Take the lid off, and bake  for 20 more. 
 

 
Serve.

 
And enjoy !



7 comments:

  1. Approved Foods do come up trumps with some real bargains, but it's easy to get carried away sometimes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So true. Why, I just happen to know someone who ended up with over a 100 packs of cous cous once because she could not tell the difference between a pack and a case (well, it was so cheap, you'd never have guessed it was a case price !), lol. All gone now though, mercifully !

      Delete
  2. Ooh, is that the Granose chicken style roast mix? Mine love that, but I haven't been able to get it lately. I'm off to look at the website. Oh dear, what have you started..?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's the one, CJ - and at 4 for a £1.... It's like an avalanche, isn't it ? ;o)

      Delete
  3. That is a scrummy looking meal, I made a big batch of meatballs in tomato sauce last night, they are in the fridge waiting to be frozen. I think that some will be going into the oven instead. I have a delivery from AF today, I managed to keep away from the ice cream and cake mixes. I did however order 10 Christmas puddings, I had some last wek and they are yummy.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ooh - I love me some Approved Food! I'm expecting a delivery tomorrow. I bought some of the coffee beans and filter coffee a couple of weeks ago and they were good so I thought I'd stock up.

    I always end up filling my basket with loads of things then I have the 'Will I really, really use it?' conversation with myself before I check out and remove a lot of it! This time I also succumbed to the batter mix which I wouldn't normally but it's such a bargain I figured I'd try it.

    ReplyDelete