Monday 17 February 2014

Stuffed Butternut Squash

Good grief.  Ten days since I last posted ?  And where exactly did that time go ?  Scary.
 
Anyway.  Thanks to all who commented since my last appearance, thanks for the birthday wishes and advice and support regarding fibro - I absolutely agree about the memory foam mattress and a shaped pillow; I've had them for a few years and I think they are greatly responsible for the fact of my continuing mobility !  My initial shaped pillow was the one from Lidl, I think, but that eventually lost its shape and got replaced by this little blighter, costing three times as much, but well worth it in springiness:
 
 
And now  for something completely different. 
 
Here is how I cook:
 
1.  Choose a recipe
 
The brain process goes something like this:  Oh, look, there is a butternut squash in the fridge.  The meal plan says we are having soup tonight, but I don't fancy soup.  Especially not BNS soup.  Hey, didn't Hugh Fearnly-Whatshisname do a stuffed BNS recipe a while back ?  Let me have a look.... Ah, here it is:
 

 
2. Gather your ingredients
 
Right. Let's see. BNS ?  Yep, here it is.  Garlic ? All present and correct, good. Butter ?  Yep, a bit left in the dish, good stuff. Oil ? Ditto.  This is going well.  Walnuts ?  Uh, don't have any. Blue cheese ?  Nope, not a crumb.  Never mind, any cheese will do.  Let's see what we've got.... Uh, no cheese.  None whatsoever.  Oh-kay..... Hmmmm.... What do I have ?
 
3. Improvise
 
Five minutes later, and the search has produced a stick of celery, a couple of onions, a couple of home-grown dried chillies, flaked almonds and sunflower seeds.  Perfect.

 
4. Off you shoot
 
Chop the veg finely, sauté in a bit of oil.  Add the nuts and seeds.  Cook your BNS as per recipe.  Scoop the flesh out as per recipe. Mix with the extras - as per recipe.  Stuff back into the scooped-out shells  and return to the oven, just like the recipe says.

 
5. Forget all about it
.... and pull it out of the oven ten minutes late, looking rather charred. 

 
6.  Oh well
Serve with a smile.  A light dinner for two - Hugh F-W's stuffed BNS.  Exactly as per the recipe. 
 
Well.
 
  Ish.  
 
;o)
 
 
 

 

4 comments:

  1. Wonderful, I do love to see improvised recipes as I never seem to have what's on the actual ingredients list. It looks absolutely yummy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I cook this way, too. I do make a menu, but I consider it to be suggestions more than set in stone....the same way I treat a recipe...lol

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hahaha, I so relate to this. I browse cook books all the time and have lists everywhere of things I found that I want to make. And then I change them! Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't

    ReplyDelete