Monday 23 September 2013

On Perfection

Despite grasping the fact that there is no such thing as perfection best part of two decades ago - and what a Damascus moment that was for a natural born perfectionist - there are still areas of my life where I  catch myself frozen into inactivity by the certain knowledge that whatever I am capable of producing in the given circumstances will be inadequate..



I have learnt to shove my way through this immobilising frost when it comes to stuff such as  food - else we'd never get fed.  Likewise the other basics of life, the specifics of which escape me right now  as the fog of tiredness takes over.  Sleep ?  A basic indeed, but not really applicable in this instance - I have never sought perfection in zonking out or keeling over.


Do I sound delirious yet ?  I do believe I am not far off, so I expect I better get to the point, if a point I had.... Ah yes.  It would appear that blogging is one of those areas that I referred to above.  So this is me, shoving through it.  No rhyme, no reason, no real point to this post - except for not allowing myself to freeze up because of the belief that action would lead to an inadequate result.



So here, have some photos from our Croatian holiday, and do bear with - because when it comes to blogging, one does
not say it best by saying nothing at all.
 


 


 

 

 
 
 
 
.... and could the sea be any clearer ?  When it comes to perfection, Mother Nature has it sussed. 

 

3 comments:

  1. I am a recovering perfectionist!
    I have finally realised that perfectionism is a form of self-abuse because perfection is not achievable which means that every day a perfectionist sets themselves up to fail and that they can never succeed.
    Now I realise that good enough is good enough and life is much better.

    ReplyDelete
  2. There is a school I know of - and probably quite a few I don't - whose motto is " 'It'll do' won't do ! ". Now, I can see what they're trying to do there.... Get the kids to do their best, teach them not to be lazy, push themselves, blah blah.... But I still hate it. Because most of the time, for most things, it will do. It will do just fine, and better than fine.

    And I like that thought - that perfectionism is a form of self-abuse. I'll definitely be nicking that :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think there's a world of difference between 'it'll do' which to me means anything will do and 'I'll do my best' which is all we can ever do. I regret all those years I thought I was a rubbish mum because I wasn't a perfect mum. :-( But now I am a grandmother, I can simply rejoice in being the best grandmother I can :-)

    ReplyDelete